View Single Post
Old November 6, 2012   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

2 years ago almost all our basil in Oklahoma was killed by a blight of some kind. Sounds very like what you describe in stage 1. Then it gets on the stems and turns them black. You couldn't even buy Basil in the grocery or seedlings either. Luckily I grow my own or we wouldn't have had any fresh basil at all. First year I grew it from seed too. Before that I always used to just buy 1 or 2 basil seedlings from the nursery. Needless to say I was popular with the neighbors that year.

Wish I could tell you a tip on how to get rid of the disease, but I have no idea. Some plants it killed, some it stunted, and some pulled through naturally and grew fine. No rhyme nor reason as to why. The only thing I saw was that possibly dryer roots helps as the dry parts of my garden the basil was likely to do better.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote