View Single Post
Old February 3, 2018   #71
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Those are nice looking Cole.

Looking at Harris, they state 16 weeks. That is a lengthy period. Looks like they are similar to germinating and growing out of Pansies, in regards to needing cool temps and darkness.

And that actually brings up experiments that I have been running this season. I have a seed starting rack located in a "Mud Room" that has very little heat. The rack can accommodate 16 flats under lights. By simply placing painters plastic (drop cloth) over the rack, it completely changes the environment.

With out plastic, under the lights its right around 65 degrees. I currently have some tomato seedlings along with Stock and Eucalyptus there. Thats toward the bottom of the unit.

With plastic covering, under the lights, its about 78 and crazy humid. Thats the upper section. I have my pepper seedlings there, and the results are promising.

If you place the flats on top of the T8 Ballasts, under the plastic section, its closer to 85-90 degrees and nearly 100 % humidity.

I also have another rack, in a heated room.

This all came about because of needing different environments to start different seeds. I would much rather do this for as long as I can, then to heat a greenhouse.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote