View Single Post
Old May 24, 2018   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

During the last dinosaur age when I was selling both tomato plants AND fruits, I put up pint containers of cherry tomatoes and they were the first to be sold.Even faster than the mounds of larger tomato varieties that'd harvest at home,load the car with them in those 22 inch plastic containers.

Some pints had just one kind of cherry,different for different cherries and some had mixed cherries, very pretty actually.

And I wrote out which specific plants,and which cherries might be available in any given week and what I knew about them,meaning history, and xeroxed those pages,stapled them together and gave them out to anyone who wanted them,I should say to the nursery folks where I was selling to,and also included my then phone number and name.

Did I ever get any calls?I sure did. One woman was having a fancy dinner party and asked if I could supply her with just reds and pink ones.

Another lady called me and wanted several quarts of yellow and gold ones, I knew who she was and suggested she come to the farm directly to pick them up, gave her directions and she said she knew where that was and would send her head gardener to pick them up. The family name was Dummery and they changed it to DuMary. Get the picture? Fact is it was their daugter Doris,who we all knew in K thru 6,who they wanted to marry upscale. And she did. She married Wayne Friehofer, a very good friend of mine actually,who was part of the Freihofer Baking CO,now known as Entemans.

Fact is that my grandfather had bought the last open land in Loudonville from the Shakers,which was home to very rich folks who didn't want to live in Albany itself. Just on the road as you went down on the way to our driveway,there was Dr. Beebe, chair of pediatrics at Albany med,Dr.Olson,chair of Oncology,Mr.White, CEO of Albany Telephone Co,and on and on.

And so it goes.

Carolyn, who says GO for the cherries,please do.