Thread: Buckets.....
View Single Post
Old April 13, 2020   #17
tanstaafl72555
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the rec on moisture meter above. Will do. Right now I have three kinds of "soil" in my buckets. In some, I have just regular miracle gro potting mix. In some, I have a recipe of 1/3 peat moss, and then 2/3 of a 50:50 mix of compost/soil. In the others it is straight 50:50 compost soil with no peat. I am the most wary of the last group. The soil gets very damp and clingy and packed when you saturate with water with the last. I think what I should have done is saturate, and then go in after a day and turn it good, and then plant.
I have several kinds of tomatoes. I have some Better Boy, some Cherokee Purple, some Burpee brand (can't remember the name), some Burpee grape, and some no name cherries, as well as some leftover heirlooms which did not get labeled correctly (mystery tomatoes!)
I have lost two of the better boys, and one cherokee purple. Some of them are looking scraggly, and some robust. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.
I am learning, here.
I wish I had started this earlier (I am three years into this).
It is almost like raising kids... there are so many things you can (and will!!!) do wrong.
Hopefully, I won't ruin them. My daughters made it and are women of whom I am proud, and they have great kids. I suppose if I did not ruin them, nor their offspring, maybe there is hope....
tanstaafl72555 is offline   Reply With Quote