Thread: Industrial Hemp
View Single Post
Old August 9, 2019   #79
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
The plants look terrific, Cole! Really like your savvy grow plan too. Best kind of soil, no till and no weeding! Nice.
Thank you. The no till thing just rocks peoples' worldviews. "What do you mean you don't till? How can you plant without tilling?"

We were actually rushed on planting and did not get the weed cloth down in time to soften the ground, so we made planting holes with a drill and an auger bit. The ground was quite firm, but it did soften over time under the fabric. My plants never got watered, either. The cloth conserves moisture. New plants in tilled ground must be watered frequently in hot dry weather. Hemp can "test hot" under drought conditions, meaning the thc levels spike up from the stress. I think no till will help prevent that from happening.

And the worms! I even see them when mowing and trimming grass. The sod is full of huge earthworms. They like to eat the decomposing sod under the fabric, too. I was in a tilled field last week and thought to myself, good luck trying to find a worm out here. Even the grass that grows back after tilling is sickly and yellow. Conventional agriculture, whether it be cultivating or roundup no till, I am convinced just murders soil.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote