View Single Post
Old April 5, 2011   #92
rtsouth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo. Let me tell you what I did with the fill tubes. Having never had any before I started playing around with them just to see what made them tick. I liked the fact that if you used the supplied fill pipe in the EB kits that the vacuum valve would stay in place by sliding down on the black tube and would not be waving in the wind. When I first tried to get it into the 1 1/2" PVC that you recommend, it would not fall in. However, if you squeeze it just a bit on the ears of the valve, it slips into the PVC very nice and tight. This brought on another challenge since you recommended having the bottom of the bell within approx. 3" of the bottom of the container. As it turns out, for the bell to be at proper distance from the bottom with the valve pushed into the PVC, the length of the ice maker tubing needs to be 11 1/4". I just left the original black tube in place. Culd have cut off a short sleeve, but it's so thin I just left it alone and used it. Do you forsee any problem with the valve being in a 'fixed' position at the top of the fill tube? I just thought it was a safer arrangement rather than allowing the valve to 'float' above the top of the fill tube. Got my first two cages built and fitted. Excellent directions made it a simple task. Thanks for the (B54RED) note. I'll have to contact him and get some tips. By the way, is your water timer electric, battery or solar powered? And if you don't mind, what's the brand and model?
Thanks
rtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote