View Single Post
Old January 21, 2018   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Sorry for the mis-wording - I guess i was thinking 'poppers' when I wrote 'stuffed'... oops! I've done stuffed bells and chile rellenos many times, and love anaheims but never thought about stuffing them. Your ideas and variations are great ideas to experiment with. Thanks!
So if you're steaming the poppers, you don't bread them then?
I'd only use breading if I were to have them whole and then put in a deep fryer.

To steam you just pre-heat oven to 350F, place the stuffed peppers on a baking pan and add a small amount (about 1/8 inch) of water to the pan. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until the pepper softens up a little. If they start to get too brown on top you can cover with tin foil, but usually not necessary. If they are too crunchy you can just put them back in the oven for a few more minutes. They reheat well too.
If using beef, sausage or bacon, lightly brown it first just enough to get some grease out before stuffing. I mainly use ground Italian sausage mixed with cream cheese and top it with mozzarella and chopped bacon. Many varieties to choose from.

Here is a pic of the poppers with sausage, cream cheese and cheddar along with a stuffed poblano (didn't peel all of the charred skin off so it's a bit ugly).

Last edited by rhines81; January 21, 2018 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added photo
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote