View Single Post
Old September 5, 2018   #122
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

September 4th, 2018

• The compost is doing well, these are Bio-degradable packing peanuts.

Critters

• I have seen a few more yellow finches here and there, they really love the sunflowers. Sorry no picture, they're just too dam skittish.

• These are probably the only insect that really bother me, for some reason they like to get in your face and buzz all around you. They seem really attracted to alcohol, these pineapple chunks were sitting in grain for quite a while.

Garden

• I really haven't noticed any difference between the Giant Marconi and Red Marconi, both plants are doing equally well. The seeds were graciously sent from a forum member.

Canning

• Picked 3.5 pounds of Jalapenos for a batch of cowboy candy, the reds that were not crisp are set aside to dry and make chili powder. Roasted and canned some poblanos a few of the reds that weren't firm were set aside for chili powder.

• Got 8 jars and canned the remaining syrup for another 4 batches of Jalapenos

• Roasted and peeled the poblanos, used trimming and simmered for a broth to use as a canning liquid.

• In retrospect, I wish I would have canned in 8 oz. jars.

• Chili powder. These will be dried and placed in the refrigerator in a mason jar unsealed then processed in a coffee mill. I'll continue to add Jalapenos and Poblanos til the end of the season.

Food

• Red Marconi and Buratta cheese. We usually make this with Jimmy Nardello peppers, these are Red Marconi and just needed to be cooked twice as long. The family liked these just as much as the Jimmy Nardellos.

• Basil, mozzarella, grape tomatoes (store bought tomatoes)

• Nachos

• Fried garden peppers, chives and cheese omelet with fried butter, garlic, crushed red pepper toast and a side of fried hard salami. Apple juice and coffee.

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote