Thread: Dried potatoes.
View Single Post
Old October 27, 2014   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I think it's more a matter of survival than gourmet cooking. Too, they have two varieties, white and black. The whiteness comes from thorough soaking and washing before the final dehydration.
I ended up on youtube yesterday and they have cooking shows in Peru.
It was all in Spanish.
On one of these shows they were using white chuno in a recipe for a rabbet stew.
From the market pictures I see chuno is as important to these people as the pepper is.
The chuno is everywhere they love the stuff.

I have to tell you that little piece of chuno like potato I had yesterday took the potato to a whole new level.
I will also say that it was the best tasting potato I have ever had, that is no joke.

Also what ever the devil it is I am doing I will continue to do and make it a part of my regular diet.
As for the white chuno it is obvious the soaking in the water extracts the starch from the outer part of the potato while not in oxygen.
Without the starch there is no oxidation therefore no black potato.
Easy.

Did you know that at the time the Spanish found the Inca it was the largest empire on earth?

It was made up of several groups of people all over the Andes and they all didn't even speak the same language.

Therefore the Inca wasn't a single people as much as it was a confederation of several societies.
One of the most interesting things about them is their thinking about the garden.
The garden is for everything the people and the animals so they plant enough for all to share.
The garden should always have children in it.
The children bring laughter and will make the garden happy.
No bad thoughts, fights or anger should enter the garden.
This will make the garden unhappy and not produce.
They look at the plants from year to year to see what the season will be like.
Sounds about like what I believe in.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote