Thread: Canning Season.
View Single Post
Old June 17, 2018   #506
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'm about to start canning season here. Local Strawberries are just coming in....and I usually wait about 2 weeks, so that the price goes down as the quantity available goes up.

The raspberry cane I planted last year have their first flower buds....boding well for some fruit. The one cane from last year has "bushed-out" a fair amount, but I don't think I'll get enough to can anything JUST from my own plant. So will have to purchase some more.

I scored 17 different basils and 7 different mints this year in plant swaps and purchases. So will be using many for jams and jellies and other stuff.

I've got orders from a few local chefs for my smoked hot pepper powder blend (includes some ghosts), my roasted hot pepper powder blend, my "mild" hot pepper powder blend, and some rub blends I've made. A friend of mine bought some to give to other chef friends as Xmas gifts and they've all asked for more....including some of my specialty jellies/jams and my pickles. One chef wants to learn how to do the Armenian Tourshi and Dill pickles.....lol....in quantity. Told him, if he wants to do quantity I need access to a larger kitchen....so he offered use of his commercial one on one of the days the restaurant is closed. Yipppppeeeee.....lots of counters, lots of burners, and time to put the team together like the old days, when we'd bang out 300+ Litres in a day in my Mum's kitchen which was designed with cooking in quantity in mind.

My knees aren't looking forward to canning season, but the rest of me. I've decided I need to get a small storage locker for the stuff that's for sale....too many jars in the small cold cellar to organise easily. I figure I did about close to 40 dozen 250ml jars last year, 15 dozen 500ml jars, and about 15 dozen 1L jars of jams, jellies, salsas, pickles, caponata, and more...and about 6 dozen 1500ml jars (pickles only).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote