View Single Post
Old March 30, 2008   #33
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Are you growing any for the 1st time ever?

2008 will be my first outdoor garden since my family had a garden when I was a kid. I have grown tomatoes & peppers indoors these past couple of years with a 'little' success. But I know growing outdoors will be a whole different ballgame. Greater risks with weather, diseases, and animals, but also a much greater potential for reward in terms of what may be produced.

Besides tomatoes, sweet & hot peppers, I'll be giving the following a try:

Beans - Boston Favorite, Charlevoix Red Kidney, and Tiger's Eye are the ones I have seeds for. Will try at least one of those.

Corn - If the packet of seeds that I bought 3 years ago are still good, I'll grow a few of those.

Garlic - Planted last fall. Will check on them soon. They're planted at my mother's house and I haven't been over there to check on them recently. Am curious to see if anything popped through the soil. I've had them covered with a few inches of leaves all winter.

Melons - Will probably try both Ali Baba & Orangeglo. I also have seeds for Collective Farm Woman, Kansas & Thayer I may try if I can find room.

Potatoes - For some reason I have a real fascination with growing potatoes so will give it a go. Carola, German Butterball, and La Ratte are the varieties I put an order in for yesterday from Ronnigers. Now I'll have to wait and see if I actually receive them. I've had trouble with Milk Ranch two years in a row, and I believe Ronnigers owns them. Something like that. They are associated somehow. I plan on growing these in 10-gallon grow bags.

Rhubarb - We always had rhubarb when I was young. My mother asked that I grow some of that so will try to find a place that sells that this spring.

I've grown basil before but it will be my first year growing Cinnamon Basil. I'm looking forward to it.

May also try a couple of sunflowers, space permitting.

Lots of work, I mean fun, ahead these next few months!

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote