View Single Post
Old July 29, 2016   #52
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks

Just a little summary of the season so far, so I've a record about how my tomatoes tasted and I think some of you might be interested to read it

Just a reminder, plant out date here is mid may.

No ripe fruit yet from:

Striped Cavern (they'll be ripe in a few days)
Cuor di Bue Giant Reif Red (I'll pick the first fruit tomorrow)
Northern Lights (first fruits got sunburned because I had to remove leaves)
Michael Polan (painfully slow)
White Oxheart (BER disaster)

The ones I've tasted so far:

Red Currant (I like it as a snack and I give away plants to neighbours with children)
Kellogg's Breakfast (sooo delicious)
Amethyst Cream Cherry (great flavor)
Orange Russian 117 (good but first fruits were a bit mild)
Barry's Crazy Cherry (ok, not much flavor but quite pleasant)
Candy Sweet Icicle (ok, flavor is sweetish-nice but not strong, I don't like the thick skin)
Trefle du Togo (did not like it at all)
Henderson's Pink Ponderosa (bland, not pleasant)
Kremser Perle (quite good flavor, heavy producer)
Old Yellow Candy Stripe (extremly acidic but not unpleasant, hard to describe, I don't like acidic tomatoes but the taste still is quite nice?)

So far Kellogg's Breakfast & Amethyst Cream Cherry are the only ones who are on the "must grow again" list. Probably OR117 too, I'll have to wait how the next fruits taste.

Not growing again Trefle du Togo and HPP, I know you shouldn't judge after one season but these two were really unpleasant for me so I won't give them another chance.
I had red currant now for 2 seasons but next season I want to try another snack variety. With Kremser Perle I'm not sure either, it is very reliable in my climate but maybe I want to try something different too.
With Old Yellow Candy Stripe, the acidity really burns my tongue so that one has to go too. Tatiana's Tomatobase says "sweet mild flavor" But I've a feeling like their might be several versions of this variety as some talk about a pink blush (mine stay pale yellow and rather rott than change color) and while mine and Tatianas fruits are oblate, some pictures online show round fruits...
Oh and obviously, I'll only grow my BER disaster White Oxheart again if it does produce THE best tasting tomatoes that I've ever had. If it has the best tasting tomatoes then I'll find it an in ground spot in my garden...

I'll do another summary later in the season

Non tomato plants:

Spider mites are trying to kill all my eggplants, ground cherries and peppers, sprayed them twice now, plants are still looking bad and I don't know if it is worth fighting for fruits that now have been treated heavily with pesticides
It's the eggplants that attracted those little pests, they were the first who got them and you can see how it spread from there Next season I'll find them another spot where they can't spread the pest on my other plants.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote