View Single Post
Old January 22, 2017   #20
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Thanks Dan! What is the name of the micro parent again?

They are in the same soil, about 0.5 cu ft total. I feed them with some Oscomote granular once and Miracle Grow every 3-4th watering. In ProMix organic mix with fungi.
The micro mama was Red Robin X Rose Quartz Multiflora F4. It is a micro multiflora from a cross made by Chris Kafer (ChrisK). I was growing out the micro from that cross for Chris trying to stabilize it. (I am growing the F8s now. It is a great micro tomato.) This is a link to part of a thread ChrisK has where he discussed the original cross from which that micro came.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28443&page=25

It is an old and very long thread. The page that link takes you to has a photo of a cousin of the mama of these that shows the potential I think lurks inside these little things. That photo is in post #370. There are lots of other photos in that thread.

I got permission from ChrisK to use it to make crosses of my own. I've made crosses between that micro multiflora and over 55 different varieties - many of which were themselves unstable.

I grew most of the F1s last summer and and am having fun seeing what I can find in the F2s. There is absolutely no way I will ever be able to fully realize the potential that is in these crosses. That is why I'm happy, even eager to let others help with the grow-outs.

Thanks for your interest, James.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote