View Single Post
Old November 21, 2007   #18
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
... in the space 1 tomato plant takes up, you'll harvest more than you and a family of 4 could eat in a year!
No way! I couldn't disagree more. Ultimately I s'pose, it depends on how much that family of four likes (and likes to use) garlic. Garlic planted in the space that one tomato plant takes up, will last but a month or less at my place. Way less, if you consider what I put aside to use as seed stock for the following growing season.

The Mrs and I love the stuff. If a recipe calls for two cloves of garlic, at least an entire head will go in. (And I'll bet a LOT of folks who grow their own garlic do something similar.) Sometimes we prepare a dinner based on how much garlic we have at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
Garlic has to be the easiest crop to grow yourself ...
It's easy, IF you keep the bed weeded. Garlic doesn't like competing with weeds for garden space. So the 'hard' part is the tedious task of pulling little weedlets out that have popped up thru the mulch since the LAST time the bed was weeded. So, YES you can stick a garlic clove in the ground and it'll surely sprout and eventually bear fruit ... but boy can garlic be high-maintenance with the weeding.

J