View Single Post
Old June 27, 2018   #50
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I did do a search earlier this morning and could not find those varieties for sale.
I also had the same thoughts about the softnecks looking too much like the chinese/california white in the stores.

Probably unlike Europe, Americans buy with their eyes. Bower, you are right when you say the Hardnecks stand out vs Softneck. Plus the the colors we can get in the wrappers and skins really amplify this.

The flavor nuance aspect is kinda like wine. All the "hints" and "notes" of this and that are overkill for most consumers. They just want the wine to taste "good" to them and enjoy it. I feel like garlic follows this.
Tomatoes too. I can grow heirlooms for their subtle flavor differences, but at the end of the day, that market is small compared to the masses that want a red round slicer that tastes good. The hybrid is easier for me and they are happy. I might not win a taste competition, but that is not my goal or what pays the bills. Kinda my approach with garlic too.
A good friend has a saying I keep in mind: Feed the rich and eat with the masses. Feed the masses, and you eat with the rich. -Basically, you may win prestige and honor by impressing the well to do by marketing a product that caters to their pallet, but there are not enough of them (at least where I am) to sustain you financially.
I learned this doing pastured poultry. The high end customer loved and paid for our product (at $5.49/lb vs .99-1.99 for commercial whole birds). They swore our birds were the best ever for so many reasons flavor and ideology-wise. However, they were just a niche market here, and not a viable market financially (not to mention the tremendous efforts we had to go through to produce that product). The recognition and accolades we got from them and the local restaurant scene was constant but almost irrelevant at the end of the day.

And I must say, I do not feel like I am condescending the average consumer. They just want a quality, good tasting garlic (or tomato) that was grown locally without chemicals, and I provide that. No reason to complicate it from there.

I think many growers (including me in the past) get caught up in too much ideology or put pressure on themselves to be a purist or shoot for an overly-lofty product profile. You start off thinking what you would want to buy if you were the consumer. That is kinda irrelevant.

It comes down to personal use vs. hobby grower vs. a business.

By all means, some people have niche or high end markets and they are both sustained. However, I am just going for the market where your average consumer can enjoy a local and really good product at a price they can afford. Although, I think even the high-end chefs in my area would be very satisfied with my garlic if I were selling to them, but then I wouldn't be able to move the volume I want.

Last edited by PureHarvest; June 27, 2018 at 09:56 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote