Thread: Fruit Trees
View Single Post
Old March 3, 2018   #24
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I would be very surprised if you could not find vendors in your own state or region.

Too, you may well find local associations or others with shared interests.

Fall is actually best for planting. Up there it is probably not too late to meet someone and learn to graft. Most county agents have limited experience.

http://www.newenglandapples.org/tag/...irloom-apples/

Check in your state on the web. I found very many links re New England. Up there you can grow apples that would never do well here. Never had luck with apples grown for a year or two far away...different conditions, soils, and micro-organisms. The hair-like roots of dwarfs almost always died in our heavy clay.

yes, each reagion has its demands that need to be met to have a successful stand, or orchard. I cannot grow blueberries, but all the wild do well. THat is probably me.

I do know my terrain pretty well, and where the water drains, leaving drier areas or wetter areas. That sort of thing. THere is a New England collection of apple trees call the Davenport COllection about 1 hour away. THat orchard was hit with fireblight so scions are not offered for sale anymore but I have the original list of trees so there are a huge number of varieties that will do well here climate wise

The fireblight though is a new issue and most cant handle it.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote