View Single Post
Old May 14, 2016   #57
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
I had never seen walking onions, until today. Our neighbour came over with a bunch. they are now quite happy in my garden.
Just joined this group today also, so quite excited to see this info. thanks for posting
Kensington, welcome to T'ville.
Just wanted to say thanks as well to the folks who are making this thread so interesting and informative. I'll definitely be watching the unnamed 'perennial green onion' to see if it's a better divider than the Hardy Evergreen.
I have a topsetting onion too, which came to me as "Egyptian onion" - it's red skinned and it does sometimes make topsets on top of topsets, which is in descriptions I read somewhere. Last year I planted three patches and this spring I'm seeing a big difference in earliness by microclimate - my Mom's garden they're full size and ready to harvest already, while I have one patch half size and one just two inches through the ground (very early spring here as yet).

Last night I opened and examined my Dutch Yellow shallots, and I see mold on some of the wrappers. Now I'm concerned about introducing disease. Also wondered whether I should crack and plant the cloves separately, or put whole bulbs in.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote