View Single Post
Old May 4, 2015   #57
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Time for an update. The first trial plot of bell pepper seedlings is in the ground at the south plot. 36 bioensure and 36 controls, planted in the field 5/2. They look pretty sad. We had a week of cold rainy wet weather and they definitely didn't like it. Peppers are tough though. If they pull through we should be ok.

Also planted one section of Zapolita Chico sweet corn over the weekend too. 12 short rows ~ 25 each Bioensure and 16 short rows control. Pattern 4c-4B-4c-4B-4c-4B-4c. I'll be adding a new section in one week.

My mower is down, so I wasn't able to plant the newly cleared 1/2 acre across the street. Got to seriously get that mowed and fast. Times a wasting! One good thing. In my 1/10th acre plot I started with, I couldn't mow either, but that means my cover crop of peas and rye is really turning into a jungle! And I was actually able to pick some peas today! Boy were they sweet! In a way I am glad I didn't mow them yet!Who knows? With some luck I may be able to harvest enough to sell before the mower gets fixed! A cover crop that pays for itself! Gotta love it.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote