View Single Post
Old April 29, 2019   #6
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

95% of the Dwarf Tomato Project varieties I have grown fell to disease, most before I ever had a crop. I have been experimenting with them for four seasons, and each year they are the first to go down, while others produce volumes.

I have only ever brought three varieties to harvest: Dwarf Purple Heart (small harvest under heavy disease pressure once in three years), Loxton Lad (good harvest, practically all at once) and Uluru Ochre (overwintered and produced a second year).

Uluru Ochre is absolutely my favorite DTP variety and the only one I will grow again. I have moved on the trying older Dwarf varieties instead, and have had better results with Russian Dwarf plants in general.

I loved this project and was thrilled to try these plants but have had too much failure to keep with it. One only gets so many tomato seasons.

BTW, I have been growing in containers since 2016 (after first trying in ground) and after the first year brought in completely new soil each time to try and avert the problem, to no avail. In ground, in Earthboxes, fresh soil, reused soil, solarized soil - same results.

Last edited by JosephineRose; April 29, 2019 at 01:34 PM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote