View Single Post
Old May 11, 2019   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

If I have another indeterminate failure this year I may just grow all dwarf next season.

In my climate, damp/hot/humid and often cool nights, I'm finding the dwarf solid stems,
compact overall stature very tolerant of the issues I've been having. I can start seeding early
so they have good solid growth without going leggy. They seem pretty happy in small 4inch
pots for some time. They can handle a dilute copper spray and/or stylet-oil without harm,...
where the more tender stems/leaves of an indeterminate suffer.

Dwarf plants need less babying. Practically self-pruning. Can handle strong Spring storms.
I've been dancing trays of indeterminates the past month in and out of protection...where the
dwarfs have been solidly stoic in all weather without harm.

Just today starting to tie these to the railing. I lost a couple more IND seedlings to a sudden
storm and these are fine. I've not needed to water at all yet. My IND's can't go in the garden beds
yet being so wet sensitive. Even in raised beds with good drainage.

I'm just adding 'weather tolerant' to my list of dwarf advantages. In the past couple years three
dozen dwarf plants were just back-up plants...but now are becoming my main crop giving
plenty of all season fruit. Sure I get less quantity of fruit per plant but at least I have a crop.
Last season my 75+ garden toms went down fast in the heat/hailstorms/disease. Half I had to pull
early...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro:dwarf may 4 2019.jpg (673.3 KB, 55 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote