Thread: Paprika
View Single Post
Old March 17, 2016   #27
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

For some reason , I can't get the quote button to work. Been trying since last night.

Worth... Cool! Mason jars I have. I have the jelly size. If I learn how to do this right, maybe then I'll get some of them little decorative ones.

Ilex.... I didn't find Nora. ( sorry don't know how to make ~ sit on top of words. I did find Jaranda and Jariza. The site I found didn't say how hot they were. Jariza looks like the pepper is almost a foot long from the picture I saw.

Your right. Lots of varieties out there and lots being lost. A shame really. I think more would even be lost if not for folks saving seeds and sharing them.

Farmer Shawn.... Great! I'll get a coffee grinder. Thank you. I have some friends who have alot of the old timey kitchen and farm utensils. I'll ask if they happen to have one of them hand grinders. They used to grind and make their own flour and products. Did just about everything the
old-fashioned way on the farm. They are a very self-sustaining couple.

tash11... Definitely going to have get some cumin. We were raised with mom only ever adding salt and maybe a bit of pepper to the food she cooked. Very simple, plain fare. Good, but no real flavor.

I don't think I am to the stage of learning how to smoke peppers yet, but I'll keep that in mind.

Oakley ... Nice link. I book marked it. I had been looking for some rose petals. I checked and 200 is the lowest temp I have, so I'll have to get a dehydrator is 160F is the recommended temp. Checked my toaster oven and it doesn't go that low either.

I wish I could do solar here, but while we have heat that would dry the peppers out fast, the dew and humidity just rots them. I tried that once for saving seed. Outside of peppers looked ok, but the insides were rotten. Trashed em all and just dried inside for seed.

Farmer's Daughter .... Sure glad you said how to prepare them. I would probably just have put in whole.

TomNJ.... Would you believe I am going to have to google what a coffee grinder looks like. I have no idea. I'm a 24/7 coffee drinker, but have never ground a bean. Always used instant.

You know what is really great about learning how to do this? I grow all kinds of peppers, hot and sweet. I grow for the love of growing and seeing what the fruits are like. For once I won't have to give most all of them away since I didn't know what to do with them.

With all the information you folks are sharing, hopefully other folks reading will give trying to make their own powders a try too.

Oh, about how long do they have to dry in a dehydrator.?

I really appreciate all the help and suggestions. A whole new experience with peppers is opening up.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote