View Single Post
Old March 1, 2017   #50
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sue, while I have grown some herbs, I am really just learning about different ones. Yes, there is plenty of room to grow some herbs inside during the dog days of summer and the cold days of winter too. While I have a good idea of how - I need to learn more.

This thread has opened my eyes to new thoughts and ideas. I had no idea about Lemongrass growing so large, and so many of the other herbs. To me, Rosemary sounds like it is worth growing for the fact that it flowers during the hot days of summer. I hope we like the way it tastes, but seeing flowers in July and August is enough reason to grow them. Some, like rosemary, are perennials - I've had good luck with perennial flowers without cutting them back after first frost. I've learned that if you do cut them back and then covering them in leaves - they can withstand much colder temperatures.

Our main garden is fenced-in 45' x 45' but there are 3' wide beds outside the fences. Our actual garden size is 48' x48' In autumn, the fences catch the blowing fallen oak leaves and cover the beds - more so the northern and southern beds. That's why we have success growing perennials in those 3' sections.

I'm learning.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote