View Single Post
Old February 25, 2018   #11
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Bower, I have only seen snowshoe hares on TV but they appear to be 2-3 times the size of our little bunnies.

Old School since you are also in PA your bunnies probably like to eat the same things that mine do. I have half of my garden fenced with chicken wire because the rabbits will eat beans, peas, lettuce or other greens and carrots. I have even had them nibble the tops of onions but when other plants became plentiful they quit eating those.

I grow tomatoes, peppers, squash, radishes, corn and potatoes in the unfenced parts with no problems BUT I have had them eat pepper seedlings so I have little wire cages that I put around them when they are small and after they grow a bit the rabbits leave them alone.

As for nutrients for the potatoes - I only use a real thin layer of straw on the bottom or even none at all and the roots grow down into the soil where the nutrients are found but the potatoes develop off of the stems of the plant which are above ground and under the straw.

This keeps the tubers (potatoes) out of the soil where the spores are. Scab is naturally occurring in the soil and non toxic to us but it looks ugly on the potatoes and makes corky rough areas on the skin. I especially have trouble with this on the red potatoes. I have tried crop rotation and lowering the pH to no avail so using straw and keeping them out of the soil entirely works best for me.

I garden organically so using fungicides is not an option.

Last edited by brownrexx; February 25, 2018 at 01:48 PM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote