View Single Post
Old June 15, 2018   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Nematodes in the cukes; timing thoughts

On April 26 I planted a row of 'Homemade Pickles' cukes (9 hills) down the middle of a raised bed that had early March planted carrots down each side. By May 29 I had four plants thriving and of the five resowings there were two seedlings destroyed by Lester the Cat and three re-sowings trying to make it.

Long story short: By the time I resowed, the daily temps were much hotter. Of the three resowings that germinated, none really thrived. Yesterday I pulled the most puny one...

and found what I believe to be RKN on the roots.

What intrigues me is that the thriving plants from the original planting aren't affected so far. They might well be as time goes on but it raises a thought. Perhaps if plants can get a good foothold or reach a certain size before higher air temps and thus higher soil temps trigger high RKN activity, maybe some of the crop can be salvaged.

If so, perhaps it would be advantageous to get an early as possible start to plants situated in a RKN prone bed via Wall o' Waters (or the equivalent) or a plastic bed tunnel and push the envelope even more with transplants instead of direct seeding. But then I wouldn't want protection to artificially get RKNs active by raising soil temps too early so maybe just setting out transplants would create a jump. Protect at night when necessary.

Just some late night thoughts. I have two other cuke varieties situated in other beds doing fine so no danger to the annual cuke relish making (first batch tomorrow.. or rather, later today). LOL!

Any input would be welcome.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote