Thread: Wonder Soil
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2015   #49
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Now that the plants have been out for about a month and a half, I thought I'd share an update.

I planted five tomato plants and 15 hot pepper plants in grow bags filed with straight Wonder Soil. Everyone was happy as could be and got a couple of good feedings of Urban Farms Vegetable fertilizer before our vacation. In hindsight, I should have gone with a granular/slower release fertilizer before we left.

We were gone for 18 days, during which we left the lawn irrigation system (which also waters the garden) running on it's regular cycle. However, we also get quite a bit of rain while we were away. This meant the grow bags were washed out of all nutrients for a period of time. While I came back to amazingly healthy plants, what fruit set there had been on the grow bag tomatoes while we were gone all had BER. Early Wonder Pink and Marovsky Div were hit the worst. The one plant with fruit set that was only minimally affected, interestingly enough, was San Marzano Nano. While I had to pull off about a dozen small fruit with BER, the plant is loaded with at least 60 health looking greenies!

The peppers, on the other hand, have been thriving.

Since we got back, all are on regular feeding schedules again and the peppers have been setting like crazy! The two Dwarf Pink Passion plants in grow bags are absolutely loaded with blossoms and now have their first few fruit set.

All the plants seem to get through the hot spells we've been having with no signs of stress and I'm not needing to water as frequently.

So far I'm pleased with the results.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote