View Single Post
Old June 2, 2015   #15
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Be very careful... adding sand to clay soil = cement.. You're better off adding gypsum and/or plenty of compost.. It wouldn't even hurt to go with a deep rooted cover crop to help break up the soil and add a heaping dose of organic matter upon it's death..

When planting I pinch off the bottom 2-3 lateral shoots at the very least and plant 5+" deep.. The deeper the better, as you'll end up with greater surface area for roots... As Garden381 said: laying the plants horizontally in a shallow trench and just bending the top growth up is another good method of planting for increased root growth...
==============
Hi Mike723,

I really saw the add sand to clay on the gardenweb site. I have SOME clay but it is grey and sparse. It seemed to work in my situation but i totaly understand the root growth issue with roots trying to press through the heavy soil.

In hindsight i imagine that if the clay was predominant in composition, that sand would only break it up - not make it lighter allowing for CORRECT growth of most ANY root system.

Thanks for the info and i will not add sand any longer in the small area where I need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 - 1.jpg (120.2 KB, 88 views)
garden381 is offline   Reply With Quote