View Single Post
Old November 1, 2015   #14
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This site is better than the Florida site.
Worth
I'm going for the Antheacnose at the bottom of the page maybe.

Thanks for the link and the suggestion. I read all these bacterial and fungus diseases and nothing really seems to match up.
Many talk about water soaked spots on the bean that collapse. I don't see that on my beans. The rattlesnake and jade ii beans look more or less as normal, probably a bit smaller and vastly fewer of them.
Only the Provider has a strange mark on the pod. On both sides of the pods, but not around the seem on top or bottom, there is a long solid almost purple area. But it doesn't look sunken or water soaked.
And for the plants them selves, the bush beans, jade ii and provider germinated fine, grew fine and looked great, blossomed fine but that is when the problem begins. They produce far fewer beans. The jade manages to produce beans for 2 pickings first picking bad but second awful. Buy the time of the second picking the jade vines look like they normally would on the seventh picking. Old, turning brown and dying.
the Providers pretty much the same except they appear to be dying the time of the first picking and the beans pods have the large purplish/brown patch on both sides of the pod.
Rattlesnake pole beans are a bit different story. They start off on the weak side and never grown exactly as normal. I've picked them twice and the number of beans is hugely sub par. Many of the vines are now dead, dying or just weak. At this time they should be doing great and have 3 or 4 more pickings left. Also the few beans that I get look pretty much as normal.
The picture of the Jade II bush beans didn't look bad when I took it, but 2 or 3 days when I was ready to pick for the second time the plants looked awful, some yellowing and lot of brown leave or large brown spots. What they would normally look like early December.
Based on above what do you think?
I will probably do as Dustdevil says and try to get a response from the county extension service.
Thanks a bunch, Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; November 1, 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote