View Single Post
Old April 23, 2018   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Usually those close leaves means the garlic is approaching the end of growing. Meaning those are the last leaves it will make, after that just the bulb grows. But I have to say your garlic looks rather unusual, never seen such a serious bunch of leaves, they should be like 3-4. I guess it's the variety, or maybe excess nitrogen?
The garlic was planted mid September with some 10-10-10 worked into the soil pre-planting. They were sidedressed again with the same in November and in February at a rate of 8 oz per 18' row.

Quote:
If you look everywhere, they say harvest when the bottom 3 leaves are brown. That imo is very misleading, if your garlic didn't do great it will have 3 leaves dead way before the right time. So, yeah, it's kinda hard, you really need to check, when you feel individual cloves, is certainly a good time.
There are always a few yellowed leaves around here. Onions, garlic, daylilies, daffodils etc. But the garlic made beautifully. I'll continue checking for clove development.

Quote:
The wrappers around the cloves is unfortunately quite cultivar dependent, there are some softneck that are insanely hard to peel with very soft skins close to the clove. They need to be well old before it gets better. Hardnecks are generally easier, with hard skin that comes off quick.
I was afraid of that. Thanks for your help!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote