View Single Post
Old September 15, 2015   #6
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC.Sun View Post
Have you tried these yet?

I'm really curious of this type and what the correct name of this green onion is. I've seen these in specialty markets, but "shandong green onion" isn't the correct name for these. It's a translated common name because the variety name isn't available. I know that these are common in the Japanese culture and they generalize it as "negi". But, the have lots of versions of this too.

They use it as garnishes a lot and it's extremely flavorful. My mom likes to add/boil it in with her chicken stock and boy it adds a world of flavor.
I do not know what the correct name is, but the generous TVillian, whom I got seeds from in a trade, got her seeds from someone in China at a market..?? I will have to go back to her thread in case I am mistaken.. This is the name she listed it as..

I just pulled them up recently, so have not had a chance to use them in a dish, but I think I am going to make a Shandong Sauce using the green onions, and I will make a Shandong chicken recipe to go with it.. Also, I saw a recipe where they wrapped the green onions in a tortilla.

Big thank you to NWG...

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; September 15, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote