View Single Post
Old August 9, 2017   #58
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post

Banadoura, here's a couple more comments to add to the great feedback you've already got.

1) I don't fuss too much (= not at all) with helmet heads. They have to manage on their own = Survival of the fittest, I seed enough specimens and keep only the strongest 1/3.
It makes sense Taboule, I will simply plant more seeds of the same variety to avoid stressing in such situations next year

Quote:
2) Smart use of your girls space and belongings, I wonder if they had any say in the matter A few years from now, you can show them the pics and thank them for their contribution ;-)
They did not have a say: lol: In fact, they even complained via their mom that I was giving my seedlings more attention at some point
Since then they are impressed that dad started all these big plants from a seed, overall a good experience. Hope they will remember that when they have their own gardens!

Quote:
3) I have learned that strong light at all stages of growth is a major requirement for high performance. Every second counts, so start early and strong -natural/window light isn't nearly enough, especially at your latitude.
That's what I discovered early on as well and added a second light to the setup. Next year the plan is to start in March rather than throughout April. Start them all by Mid-March.

Quote:
Update from my end: first meaningful harvest, around 20 pounds (~9 kilos) from ~10 varieties. But I also pulled out a few plants due to disease(s) I know too early, but you gotta know when to cut your losses and focus on the healthy ones -maximize your ROI
Congrats on an excellent first harvest! I can see a handful of Jaune Flammee and ISPL blushing as of yesterday so looking good for a first harvest in a few days

Cheers,
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote