View Single Post
Old August 6, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkh1 View Post
Yeah...I already read that thread (among others) and did a google books search. Once source says Feejee was large, red, oblate... another said it was pink... a 3rd source said it was shaped like an egg. Yet another source says Maupey used Feejee as one of the parents for his Superior variety...

I figured if anyone knew off the top of their head the real deal of Feejee and who introduced it before the Civil War, it would be you.

I appreciate your high praise for my brain, but fact is I don't know it all, which may surprise you.

I hadn't read that thread in a long time and thought there was more info about Fegee there which has been spelled in many ways. And I have to doubt that Figi, Fiji, Feegee, Fegee was used as a parent for any variety knowing, as I thought I knew, that it was almost a pre-1800 variety/

One more place to look and that's Andy Smith's book about the development of the tomato, history, etc., b'c in the appendix he lists many of the older ones and history and whether extinct or not.

With my walker I have no way to get to that book right now, and besides, I'm sure you saw that Mischka bought idig and I'm now there as a Moderator as well as here. So busy beyond belief, way behind on answering PM's, e-mails, making progress on my to do list here at home. etc.

Carolyn