View Single Post
Old May 15, 2016   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandBK View Post
Hello, wondering if anyone else has ever had dealings with this disease?
I just noticed this week a few plants were starting to look odd, the tops of the plants kind of curling/twisting to where the leaves are upside down. The leaves also have purple veins and petioles. At first I thought nutritional problems but as of yesterday it seems to have affected about 90% of the plants (we had about 115 total-reds, pinks, blacks, oranges, whites, greens, bicolored, hearts, I'm dying inside). Did some research and its Curly Top Virus for sure... no cure. I had never heard of this before but google has informed me it is somewhat common in hot, dry areas and is spread by the beet leafhopper. I have not seen any of these critters, although I know they are quite small, but am curious how this affected us so greatly in super humid East Texas. Anybody else ever deal with this down in these parts? Or just want to offer condolences for my poor mater babies as I weep...
I had it one year in AZ. My mother had it the next year. Mine only got a few plants in a seperate area from my main garden. Mom's got every plant and we had to replant.
Both of ours happened after an aphid infestation.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote