View Single Post
Old August 20, 2017   #44
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have a three legged cone shaped strainer and we grew up using it for Butternut squash. Just cut up the squash, cook it with skin on and throw the hot pieces into the strainer, strain into a bowl and leave the skin behind. Add a little butter and brown sugar to the bowl and yum! We (Mom) also used it for applesauce.

For tomatoes I finally bought a 40.00 Oxo food mill. Of coarse I rarely do more than 15 lbs tomatoes at one time, so if you process large amts a larger, heavier duty mill or something motorized would be easier. But I like that I can just turn backwards and it clears the mesh, then keep going, and in the end leaves only peel and seeds behind. When it gets too many peels and seeds, which doesn't take too long, I just run it under the faucet for a minute, dump it out and keep going. I process the tomatoes after cooking briefly to soften, though I don't wait for them to cool. I put a couple ladels full of tomatoes in at a time and start slowly and don't have any problems processing hot tomatoes.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote