View Single Post
Old December 27, 2009   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[quote=mensplace;151449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
From the FEDCO Tomato Seed Site:
"4057TO Rutgers Tomato OG (75 days) Open-pollinated. Ind. Two varieties are called Rutgers. We sell the original strain of this famous New Jersey tomato, developed by Campbell’s Soup Co. in 1928 as a cross between Marglobe and JTD. When Rutgers University “refined” the variety in 1943, they took out some of the vininess but also some of the flavor. Our taste tests confirm that the original indeterminate strain is better. Long considered an outstanding slicing, cooking and canning tomato, the medium-sized 5–8 oz. unblemished deep oblate fruits with rich red interior and pleasing texture have that great old-time flavor. Resistant to F1, V1, ASC and GLS. OT-certified. "
Thanks.

OK, you can see that several facts they present are wrong.

The cross was made in 1928 as you can see from the link I gave above to Rutgers which outlined what happened when.

It wasn't in 1943 that it was refined, it was in 1934 and it wasn't refines, it was deemed genetically stable to release, also from that link from Rutgers. And the flavor wasn't taken out of anything in 1943 for it was just the stabilization of the selection they decided to go with from the cross made in 1928.

Note that the original Rutgers was not V,F,A.GLS as this one is so noted. I listed a VFA in my list above.

Actually the GLS gene wasn't even know back then, tolerance to grey leaf spot , and as you can see from the link below the GLS gene appears in more modern, mostly F1 hybrids

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...matoTable.html

Note that they said there are two varieties named Rutgers, but I listed what, maybe 8 in my list above, and there are more than that.

And I did remember correctly that others have said that Fedco said theirs was indet, but that's not what was released in 1934. As I said above some refer to it as det, others as semi-det and still others as semi-inde, take your pick, but I think the original was det. The impetus of the original cross was to develop a variety that was better than Earliana and that one is det. These were all developed as commercial varieties and det or semi-det were best for the commercial fields b'c they were compact.

If I go back and read now the link I gave with the article from Rutgers I don't think the 1934 original release was VFA b'c back then they didn't have the genes to breed in that had those tolerances as I recall, maybe F, the one serotype of Fusarium though.

Hope that helps.