Thread: NJ Tomatoes
View Single Post
Old February 12, 2013   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Well, I wasn't sure where to put this post, but being a question relating to the history of some tomatoes, I thought this was the best place. Forgive me if I was mistaken.

I just thought it odd that a tomato wouldn't be listed as being bred by Joe Bratka Sr., instead of folks listing as Joe Bratka's father. Call it OCD lol
The Joe I knew for so many years clearly could be called Joseph, as in Joesph JR, and one could find that out by doing some Googling as well.

As I said, I never asked Joe his father's name and he never mentioned it to me. After his parents died he's continued to live in the same home by himself. He's never worked b'c of a disability but for sure I'm not going to into that.

All he eversaid was that his father bred all of them and named them, and since I was the first tointroduceall of them I said whatJoe toldme, that his father had bred them and named them for thesimple freasonthat I never knew his father's name was Joephand probably was Joesname aswell

When he sent me seeds, and not just those, the envelopes were stamped all over, and I mean all over, with those rubber stamps that said Farmer Joe.

Not a problem if you considered those varieties to be Legacy varietes, which I don't as noted in the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxcar_Willie

See when Box Car Willie was born and then think back to what the timeline would be for his father to be breeding tomatoes.

Carolyn