Thread: Potato grafting
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2017   #21
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
I went bold for the 1st attempt and used heat shrink tubing that fit snug on the tomato cutting then found a potato stem that also fit snug.No heat applied,just a snug room temp fit.
The tubing should lock in freshness and avoid droop.Extra bold is the tomato choice of omar's lebanese.
IF it stays alive long enough I can cut the tubing off with a razor to allow for growth.
Blue potato so it should be real interesting if the tomato is normal or not.
If it works I may try the tubing on tomato/tomato grafts.
I'm using silicone tubes that are commonly used by fish keepers for air pumps,I cut them 1/2-1 inch long,then cut those pieces vertically.They snug around stems perfectly and apply just enough grip to hold them together.

If you can you should graft a couple of them and use a different growing technique for each one.For example,the first one you can just let grow,no prunning.The second you can remove flower trusses,the third you can try limited number of stems,for ex. 2 or 3 with allowance of fruiting,the fourth same as 3d but cut out the flowers etc. etc...the possibilities are endless.I've abandoned tomato as scion for this experiment,because I think it can't outpreform non-grafted potatoes,but maybe you'll have a different experience.

I've only today planted S.Dulcamara,but it's not too late.I think I might try chinese lantern as a scion also,since it's a vigorous perenial weed in my yard.It's a long shot becuase it's a diffrent genus,but costs me nothing to try.

ALSO important note: potatoes will persistantly put out their own shoots and it's important to remove them as soon as they emerge because otherwise the point of experiment is ruined.Good news is they do stop at some point.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote