View Single Post
Old January 21, 2017   #5
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I haven't tasted it yet, but Graham's Good Keeper might taste better off the bat in Canada, since I think it may have been grown a lot there (granted, Canada is huge and probably has many different kinds of northern climates). It's on my to-grow list, but I'm not in Canada. Since I'm in the USA, I got my seeds from here instead.

I hear Grot is also a long keeper. I haven't tried it.
Thanks for your suggestions. I still haven't decided if I'll try a 'long/good keeper' tomato this year. I'm planning on ordering a few seeds from Halifax Seed (because they carry Kalette seeds) and I didn't see a long/good keeper on their site. Always trying to keep shipping costs down so I'll probably only order from one site. Please let me know if you do grow any of the 'good keepers' and how they taste and keep.

--

My tomato season was so good last year that I still had garden tomatoes until the last week of November. I brought in around 20 tomatoes before we had a hard frost on October 26 but unfortunately I didn't bring them all in.

This season, I'm thinking of trying for a few late season tomatoes by:
1) not topping all of my tomato plants at the same time
2) growing in addition to my regulars, a later variety of tomato
3) cutting off one or more of my plants with green almost ripe tomatoes and bringing them inside before our hard frost
4) protecting at least one plant against frost (usually around October 15 for me)
5) instead of just buying seedlings, I may start a couple of tomatoes from seed in March for a later ripening tomato in a clay pot that I can bring inside or move to the front garden where we have more sun in the fall.

Any other suggestions?
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote