Thread: Berry Fruits
View Single Post
Old July 22, 2010   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default blackberries -- creative ideas?

I've been harvesting 6-8 pints from my thornless blackberry (one plant) every other day and am having fun thinking up ways to use them, besides just giving them away. I can easily eat a pint with oatmeal and vanilla soy yogurt (sometimes with blueberries, too) for breakfast -- berries and cream, one of my favorite foods. I don't have a freezer and don't have the time or facilities for canning (and wouldn't eat much jam or preserves), and don't like cakes or pies much. They're a little tart for eating out of hand. So here are some other things I've tried:

* cooking about 3 pints of berries with 2 cups of rice: Resulted in rice a lovely magenta color, with a good flavor, perfect for breakfast with some vanilla soy yogurt.

* cooking about 5 cups of berries with 1 cup of rice: Soupier, thus harder to eat as a breakfast food, and did not keep well. By day 3-4, the remainder had started to ferment. After I'd composted it, it occurred to me that I could have tried heating it up again.

* a pint of berries plus a cup or so of soynog (sweetened, cinnamon-flavor soymilk), whizzed together with hand blender: a great shake, but I wish I had an easy way to strain out the seeds. I don't have time to wait for it to seep through a strainer.

Does anyone have any other creative ideas?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote