View Single Post
Old June 6, 2011   #1
jdmfish
Tomatovillian™

Default "Plant Warrior Pots"?

A local fella at the hydro store mentioned these to me, and naturally, I had to research them. Didn't find any info on them, except they are distributed by Sunlight Supply. And they are cheap - just a couple dollars.

This is what is in the description:

• Plant Warrior growing containers provide added oxygen to the soil environment. Patent pending design allows oxygen to be drawn through the bottom of the container promoting healthy, strong roots. (sounds interesting!)

• New patent pending cone technology promotes vigorous root growth while using less soil. (could this really be? Less soil, smaller pot, same/better yield?)

• Sturdy injection molded containers. (if this is anything like the injected molded kayak I have, these should be of VERY good quality construction)

And a few rare pictures:

And factory picture:

I like to try new things out, so ordered 3, 2gal containers [$1.99] (peppers) and 3, 5gal containers [$3.29] (tomatoes) to see how they do.

And I'm always trying to get the same or better growth, using these "advanced" pots, while consuming less soil. I have a handful of the Super Root Air Pots as well, that I'm using, and are excellent growing containers, but are VERY expensive.

http://www.superoots.com/air_intro.htm

In my very limited, and controlled experiment, with two Sun Gold seedlings, I planted a tiny SG seedling in a .3gal (1-litre) SR-AP and another larger seedling (about 1.5x the size of the smallest SG seedling) in a standard 1g nursery pot. About 10 days later, the smallest SG seedling has now surpassed the growth of the initially larger SG seedling grown in a standard, and much larger nursery container!

While the smallest SG seedling was and still is (but about to be transplanted tomorrow) growing in about 2 cups worth of soil, and just breached the 2' tall mark yesterday. And FWIW, the seedling in the SR-AP just flowered for the first time yesterday, and has about 6-8 more flowers than the seedling in the 1gal nursery pot.

So, since I have been doing well, with these "advanced" designed pots, I figured I'd try these "Plant Warrior" pots, since they're about 1/4 the price of the SR-AP. And if could provide similar results, for 1/4 of the price, they're winners in my book. I'll keep this thread updated, once I transplant my seedlings, which I'm about to start in about 7-10 days, for the fall.

FWIW - a 3.4g SR-AP is recommend for growing 4-5 trees, and the 5g is recommend for 6-8' trees. So I'm hoping these are similar - ie. 2gal "plant warrior" pot = 4-5g standard nursery pot, and 5gal "plant warrior" = 8-10g standard pot. Time will tell.
jdmfish is offline   Reply With Quote