View Single Post
Old March 14, 2018   #13
SarahBeth
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I haven't been back for a couple of days. Its been a bit crazy here and I didn't want to respond until I could really read the responses. I so appreciate the time you all have put into your replies!

Today I picked up a 50# bag each of alfalfa and cottonseed meals. So if I add 10-14 lbs per bed of cottonseed meal, I should add 5-7 lbs of alfalfa? I won't be planting tomatoes for at least six weeks, but I have other planting to do asap so will add calcium nitrate as suggested. Should I add the amount suggested on the package or less since I am adding other amendments?

I remember someone suggesting peat last year too. What amount would you all suggest adding to a 9'x4'x1' raised bed?

Would the humid acid be helpful with such a new bed filled with soil/compost from the landscapers supply? Are there even nutrients there to be released? I suppose that question really shows my ignorance of soil science, lol. I do have some Neptune's Tomato formula that contains humid acid.

We do have a large organic Dairy in a nearby town. I will see if they give away their manure.

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by SarahBeth; March 14, 2018 at 08:51 PM.
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote