View Single Post
Old August 29, 2006   #9
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

My home internet connection has been down for a while (@!?# Comcast!), so I couldn't post until now. I'm back at work - I took Monday off to recover and get some housecleaning done. I could tell that MAGTAG 2006 was a big success because of all the people who mentioned "next year" in their conversations with me!

I had also taken a vacation day Friday, and spent most of that afternoon microwaving bacon for the BLT bar. I cooked up five pounds of the stuff! The house smelled great that evening.

Like Greg, I was all wound up on Saturday night and couldn't sleep. Thinking that it would work better than counting sheep, I started counting all the people that I remember seeing at MAGTAG, and came up with 34. There may have been more than that; since I was running around playing hostess with the mostest, I might not have seen some folks.

I remember somebody - Trudi? Anne? - saying that they had counted 82 different tomato varieties.

Does anybody remember the top ten tomatoes in the tasting? I think somebody threw out the list when we cleaned up after the fest. Maybe I should email my nephew Ed - he might remember them since he announced the winners! I do recall that there were several cherry tomato varieties in the top ten - Black Cherry (the winner), Sungold, and either Matts' Wild Cherry or Red Currant, I can't remember which.

My new personal favorites were Olena Ukrainian and Cherokee Green. The only one I considered a "spitter" was Black from Tula - a disappointment, since I love most black tomatoes.

Anyway, a hearty thank-you to Greg F. for helping organize this thing. I also want to thank the other folks who helped to set up (my sister Theresa and Janet M), and those who helped clean up (brother Chris, SIL Suzy, and Ed & Maggie); DH Dave and Greg M, the grillmeisters; Trudi and Anne for their demos; Joe, for his statistical expertise - Suzy and I never would have calculated the winners accurately without him; and everybody who brought tomatoes and other food! Did I forget anybody?