View Single Post
Old January 12, 2019   #26
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
My introduction to spreadsheets happened when I became inventory manager at a production nursery with acres and acres of shrubs and ornamentals. Data all day long. I also use a spread for my garden "treatments" (date, plant, what fertilizer/spray was used and why), contents of my little seed vault and even my freezer inventory. LOL!

I fiddled with various fall/winter cover crops (crimson clover, winter rye, blue lupines, annual rye in different beds) but stopped. There's always something growing year round and spring planting starts early (brassicas in February). The crimson clover was a deer magnet. Some of the covers weren't mature enough to do any good when it was time to turn them under and get them out of the way. And turning over and incorporation was a physical problem. I do use buckwheat in the summer in empty beds. The pollinators love it.

The big soil problem is root knot nematodes in the beds on one whole side of the garden. It severely limits what can be grown there and when. I've never fallowed anything because a lot is always in use. But I will be doing that in some of the nematode beds as it will starve them and knock back numbers. They'll never go away. The only other soil problem is bacterial wilt that kills tomatoes so they're grown in buckets up at the house. No more problem with that.
Root knot nematodes are the bane of my soil as well. I’ve spent hours researching deterrents and countermeasures. The fruit trees I’ve put in are going on year 3 and are thriving, so the nematodes don’t seem to bother them. I’m growing all other veggies in smart pots until I can get raised beds going. The only cover crop I’ve planted are field peas (as a green manure, not a food crop per se)
I’m planning to keep on top of bacterial issues with bleach spray (B54Red) ...we’ll see how that works out.