Thread: Campari?
View Single Post
Old November 27, 2011   #8
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Have you had any other cocktail variety to compare it with?

I'm located in the Okanagan valley region, zone 6b. Typically 190-205 frost free days. Sonoran climate - dry season (May-September) with very little precipitation, daytime highs typically 95 farenheit in July and August. Fall rains begin in October and turn to snow by mid-december, usually last frost is mid-april. New York typically would have much greater humidity, around 150 days growing season. Our soil is a sandy loam - which does pose some challenges with EC problems after a rain which is uncommon here in the summer - where the plant suddenly takes up a massive amount of water, but plastic mulch helps mitigate. Problem I saw with Mountain Magic is the fruit got waterier - less acid and sugar which I even noticed as temperatures fell from a daytime high of 95 to 85 in early september. I was using a generative steering regime. They looked very promising early on.

For commercial sales, the fruit was essentially ruined at this point. Have to sell them as single tomatoes rather than cocktail at a deeply discounted price, and even then the chefs won't buy them. Mountain magic produced 3 good clusters with intact tomatoes, Temptation did 5, Adoration and Annelise both had 6 on average.
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote