View Single Post
Old July 1, 2018   #34
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I found the best tasting tomato in the whole world. #56. It tastes a lot like Hardin's Mini, same strong taste, plus sweetness. Problem: it's a small-fruited variety. It's growing in a 1 gallon pot, small-leaved, bigger than a micro. The fruit is small and heart-shaped. I will be keeping F3 seeds, and hopefully developing it into a micro.

To me, that sounds very interesting... I hope you'll be able to carry this side project to fruition (pun intended!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I'm having a lot of trouble determining what rugose leaves are. The Hardin's Minis, with double dose of dwarf genes, ought to be rugose, no? They aren't crinkly and never have been. A few of the F2's are short, thick-stemmed, darker green, and leathery-leaved, but nobody is crinkly. Is that dark leathery leaf a dwarf leaf?

I've always been fascinated by Hardin's Miniature. And part of the reason is the lack of rugose leaves (the other is the fact that the fruit isn't round). Without laying eyes on the leaves in question, it would be impossible to tell. And some rugose leaves are less puckered than others. So it could be a bit challenging to accurately decipher.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote