View Single Post
Old July 6, 2015   #35
potatowine
Tomatovillian™

I have to excuse my joking about. Without any smileys, Poe's law you know.
It's just interresting how easily a flame war starts and what starts it, in this case, where a potato is formed along the stem.
It is an interresting topic and hence the fierce dedication I guess.
the picture is real though, I have a sibling of it groing in another small pot. I'll have to catch the decanting of that one on video just in case it has inherited the same trait.

The three reasons I as free child labour reluctantly hilled too many rows of potato to remember pulling my regions tool of choice the "pälal/päral" with my father or uncle steering it were firstly we did not want to plant deeper than maybe 4" beacuse of the short summers and late springs kept the ground cool for a long time and that way they could start photosynthesizing more quickly, weeding, and keeping them out of the light as they grew tubers.
http://www.lokus.se/Visa/Vasterbotte...plog-_7109245/
(Link to one for sale in northern Sweden)
Even though we did it quite frequently some of the varieties tasted bitter as I recall and there was allways a couple of small ones above ground near the top completely green.

With a new spun interest in potato and most other things growing edible parts, my lurking on the internets make me think they might have been quite archaic. This was after all in the late eighties and trough the nineties.

The varieties where one or several of the following: not so tasty, deep eyes, growing high on the stem needing much hilling, the tubers very much differing in size on each plant.
Potatoes from what I presume is more modern varieties than those we grew growing up don't seem to group nicer around the seed potato, bar that I was biased from being in my eyes enslaved and therefore not wanting to eat said crop every day and projecting all things bad on it.

The few people who still keep up with the potato terraces in the mountain slopes where the frost hits last in the autumn nowadays mostly grow king edward, herta, asterix, mandel, gullöga and the likes.

So could it be that hilling is in some ways a thing of the past except once or thrice to support the stem and general vigour and the need to do it about weekly or bi-weekly had to do with old varieties/ old habits.
Or was it my father penalizing me in the mosquito laden forest for skipping homework?
potatowine is offline   Reply With Quote