View Single Post
Old June 8, 2009   #26
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Still not done planting! But the garden is just about full! I still have four baby Purple Haze F3s that were slow to germinate, and I definitely want to find room for them when they're a little bigger. Probably containers, or maybe I'll move one of the compost bins and plant them there. I'm also curious about some F2s I have, Momotaro and Russo Bruno, so I may have to find space for those, too.

I'm amazed that the pitiful plants I rescued at the plant exchange a month ago are thriving. When I got them, they were totally dry, falling out of their containers, with roots exposed. Now they're beautiful PL plants. If these plants could survive, I can imagine sending bareroot seedlings through the mail! (I used remy's excellent how-to photos to pack and send some perennial kale cuttings, so I now know how to pack plants.)

I also have some "leftovers" (too many extras that I kept for people who'd asked for plants) that I'm thinking about planting in 5 gallon containers, just because I haven't planted in containers. But first I have to research what to add to the coir I have to make a good planting mix.

I've planted my bean and cucumber and squash seedlings: La Vigneronne, Smeraldo, Musica, and Trionfo Violetto beans; Green Fingers, Armenian, Mediterranean Oasis, Lemon, and Chelsea Prize cucumbers; and Romanesco, Tondo di Nizza, Clarimore, Delicata, and baby Kabocha squash. The snails and slugs especially liked the Musica seedlings, so I may have to plant more, and I got poor germination on the lemon cukes, so I'll have to try again. I had to get these all in the ground before I could be tempted to use that space for more tomatoes!

Oh, and I also planted a few herb seeds -- basil, chervil, and chamomile -- but they're not in the ground yet. I also need to seed salad burnet and dill and (if it's not too late) cilantro. And I have 7 or 8 more echinaceas I need to plant, which I divided from a 6-pack I bought last fall (got 10-12 plants).

The peppers are all too small to plant out -- they're all from seeds, and the cold frame was not quite warm enough for them. Not sure if I'll get a harvest. These will eventually go into 1-gallon containers or in the flower beds.