View Single Post
Old November 12, 2017   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Coincidentally to giving the name "Whiskeyjack" to this line, I learned that a cross Canada vote organized by Canadian Geographic had chosen the Whiskeyjack to be Canada's national bird. It isn't official (but may be some day), but it got me thinking about Canada's 150 celebration, and the Canadian roots of my new tomato, whose earliness comes from the maternal DNA of Kimberley. I thought wouldn't it be cool to celebrate Canada's anniversary by sharing the F3 seed across Canada, so the tomato could be locally adapted across our nation just as the Whiskeyjack bird is. If we end up with more than one stable OP "Whiskeyjack" they could be distinguished by adding the grower's name or place. And of course, anyone is welcome to use this line for your own breeding work to create other varieties.

So this thread will begin by sharing information with my fellow Whiskeyjack growers about the lineage and what to expect in segregation, and is also a place for anyone to post their results down the line.
What is really special about the Whiskeyjack to me? It's one of, if not the earliest fruit I've ever grown. It's larger than any of the other early blacks I've been working on. And the fruit was very sweet, as well as being smooth textured and thin skinned. My taste testers rated it above the other blacks this year, every time.
Here's a pic of Whiskeyjack with some of my other early blacks for size comparison. The first fruit weighed 125 g, so about a quarter pound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg earlyblacks-2017.JPG (302.0 KB, 244 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote