View Single Post
Old February 24, 2017   #37
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Cool and Thanks Karen. I sure don't know much about the genetics of tomato seeds, so I have kinda dumb question. With you growing and saving your seed and knowing your plants, are older seed more genetically true/pure ( not sure if that right term) than say those of same cultivar being sold today?

I know you do alot of breeding and kinda wondered as seed now a days gets traded and sent all over the place and grown in so many spots and different conditions, or does it not matter and older seed same as today's. Thought maybe you could answer my crazy question.
Karen I'm not,just speaking to my experience. And I'll answer Karen next.

First, I'm not sure what you mean by older seed, that could be seed age or it could be varieties that have been known for a long time, and I'm pretty sure you meant he latter.

Quick answer is that there are quite a few varieties that are known to be pre1800 and they are still the same as they were back then based on descriptions given at the time..

First,I almost never deal in traded seeds, did that several decades ago and too darn many wrong ones.I do trade with folks in several countries from whom I get seeds for seed offers,but those seeds these days are produced by my now 7 seed producers and they know what they should be,all are experienced tomato growers, and I use some of the seeds produced to send to various seed vendors I've known well for a long time for trial,and to friends, to see what they think of them.

Usually I send to Glenn Drowns at Sandhill,Linda Sapp at TG, Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds and Jeff Casey in Canada if he has room.

And Tania has pick of the litter,if you will,to select any varieties she wants off the seed offers.

Finally,it wasn't a crazy question at all.

Carolyn