View Single Post
Old September 24, 2016   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
While I agree with you on many things, I learned long ago to put a rope on a tree if I absolutely must have it fall a certain direction. Why? Because an errant wind gust nearly put a tree on a building even though the natural tilt would have dropped it in a safe direction. Too many people today jump into things without considering all the possible wrong outcomes.

The simplest jig of all to make for a tablesaw is an angle jig using a couple of pieces of scrap wood and some wing nuts. A rip fence is good for cutting straight down the grain of wood. A miter is good for cutting across grain with any angle up to about 60 degrees depending on quality of the miter. An angle jig allows you to cut any angle from 60 to 90 degrees and if properly made can also allow compound cuts. I've used angle jigs attached to the rip fence and jigs made as slides riding in the miter grooves.
That's why I stopped my neighbor from cutting down a tree.
Even with ropes he was going to kill my house.
By using my truck ropes and a long chain and pivot points on other trees as it went down it landed exactly were I wanted it.
In his driveway.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote