View Single Post
Old March 19, 2007   #9
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

The Best method by far-for germinating old seeds, is the ziplock plastic baggie method.

I personaly have had tremendous results this year on old seed germination, the method is simple- just a sheet of kitchen roll paper, folded into half and then folded over again-well dampened with water and lightly squeezed out so the paper is very damp but not saturated,water with a touch of seaweed liquid feed in it helps.

Then place the seeds in the middle of the fold and put back in bag and seal. But -I personaly just lay them on top of the damp paper so that I can see through the plastic bag and tell which ones are sprouting more easily.

wait five days until you notice plenty of condensation and water droplets in the bag (which is kept at about 74 degrees F, ) and you should get germination within the next week to ten days, depending on the age of the seeds, this method really draws them out and forces them to sprout, I would say that the germination rate on old seeds is improved by 75 % and your chances are much better, once you have fished them out of the bag carefully and into some seed compost to finish sprouting -they pop up within three days.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote